LP Eye... For UK Retail Loss Prevention Professionals
LP Vacancies
LP Statistics
Internal Dishonesty
Tiger Kidnap
Intruder Alarms
EAS and Tagging
Product Protection
Uniformed Security Officers
Store Detectives
Test Purchasing
SIA and Licencing
Powers of Arrest
Personal Safety Devices
EPOS Data Mining
Satellite Tracking
Anti Burglary Equipment
LP Training
LP Qualifications
LP Recruiters
LP News
LP Books
LP Resources
Police Force Contacts
LP Forum


If you work in one of the roles listed below in England, Wales and Scotland (and in Northern Ireland from the date when licensing takes effect) or employ someone who works in one of those roles, you may need an SIA licence. This booklet tells you when a licence is required and what you need to do to apply for one.

SIA licences:
- Manned guarding including
– Cash and valuables in transit
– Close protection
– Door supervision
– Public space surveillance CCTV
– Security guarding

For those working in a licensable security role or supplying unlicensed security staff, without an SIA licence the penalties are:

• summary conviction at a Magistrate’s Court, Sheriff Court or District Court: a maximum penalty of six months imprisonment and/or a fine of up to £5,000, or
• trial on indictment at Crown Court, High Court of Justiciary or Sheriff and jury trial (for supplying unlicensed staff only), an unlimited fine and/or up to five years imprisonment.

SIA licensing for Security Guarding and CCTV public Space Surveillance The Security Industry Authority is the organisation responsible for regulating the private security industry, reporting to the Home Secretary, under the terms of the Private Security Industry Act 2001. Full details of the main licenses needed by contract security staff in Retail (Security Guarding and Public Space Surveillance for CCTV)are available on the SIA website.